Graduate school committees
Our graduate school committees made up of faculty, deans and other university leaders, hold meetings throughout the academic year to discuss issues and policies related to graduate education at VCU.
University Graduate Council
The University Graduate Council is the representative body of the faculty of the Graduate School at VCU and serves to promote excellence in all graduate programs. While the council performs the functions of review and coordination, departments and schools are responsible for supporting and managing their own graduate programs. View the UGC bylaws.
There are two standing committees of the UGC:
The Internal Review Committee is responsible for reviewing all graduate programs and establishing guidelines for graduate program review. The committee also makes recommendations concerning these reviews to the Graduate Council.
The Admissions and Academic Standards Committee recommends and reviews admissions and degree requirements for graduate programs. The committee hears appeals from applicants denied admission to graduate study or dismissed from the Graduate School and makes recommendations to the dean.
The UGC meets three times a semester with special meetings as called by the chair. All meetings are open to graduate faculty, who have a voice but no vote. View the 2022-2023 UGC Schedule.
Graduate Education and Training Leadership Committee
The Graduate Education and Training Leadership Committee is composed of assistant/associate deans and other leaders in graduate education from the VCU academic units.
GETLC meets semi-monthly to discuss and advise the Graduate School on a broad variety of issues related to graduate education curriculum, policy, retention, and graduate student success. View the 2022-23 GETLC meeting Schedule.
- Suzanne Ameringer - School of Nursing
- Shelley Conroy - School of Nursing
- Gary Cuddeback - School of Social Work
- Stephen Fong - VCU Life Sciences
- Michael Grotewiel - School of Medicine
- Moe Debbagh Greene - Office of International Education
- Ram Gupta - College of Engineering
- Alena Hampton - College of Health Professions
- Denia Lee-Hing - Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs
- Teresa Knott - VCU Libraries
- Aron Lichtman - School of Pharmacy
- Margaret Lindauer - School of the Arts
- Joyce Lloyd - Graduate School
- Oonagh Loughran - School of Dentistry
- D'Arcy Mays - College of Humanities and Sciences
- Luciana de Oliveira - School of Education
- John Ryan - Office of Research and Innovation
- Meredith Sisson - National Scholarship Office
- Tammy Sugarman - VCU Libraries
- Melissa Tyler - Graduate School
- Jayaraman Vijayakumar - School of Business
- Jeffery Wilson - Graduate School